This Too Shall Pass
By Dr. Peter Robbins & Dr. Kevin Downing
[Elijah] came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord.” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” - I Kings 19:4
But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry…”Now, Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than live.” - Jonah 4:1, 3
Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken, “Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.” And then he went outside and wept bitterly.
- Matthew 26:75
I. Misconceptions About Depression
1. Depression is a sin.
2. Depression is a sign that you are far from God.
3. Having a mental illness means you are demon possessed.
4. Good Christians don’t get depressed and don’t need professional counseling.
II. What is Depression?
1. More than 10 million Americans (and many Christians) suffer from depressive mental illness.
2. It is considered the “common cold” of mental illness.
3. Common feelings: sadness, emptiness, loneliness, feelings of failure, gloom, hopelessness, despair, dejection, discouragement, inadequacy, and feeling pressed down.
4. It is a normal reaction to loss that can become complicated and chronic.
III. Types of Depression
a. A reaction to medication, tumors, hormonal changes, chemical imbalances, post-partum (after childbirth), infections, drug and/or alcohol abuse, glandular disorders.
b. Bi-polar (manic depression) is a special kind of biological depression that can be very disabling and almost always requires medication.
c. Requires help from a medical doctor and is usually complex.
a. Often caused by an emotional shock from which someone does not allow oneself to recover.
b. Often mild and lasts two years or more.
3. Reactive (Major Depression):
a. Reaction to loss (job, loved one, pet, body part, goals, health, energy, independence, etc.).
b. Elijah, Jonah and Peter’s depressions were reactive.
IV. What Can Be Done About Depression?
1. Determine the cause: Loss? Biological changes? Infection?
2. Acknowledge the depression and tell someone.
3. Fight the urge to isolate yourself.
4. Watch your eating and sleep cycles: eat and sleep when you’re supposed to.
5. Begin exercising – start simply by walking outdoors (check with your doctor).
6. Watch sugar and caffeine intake.
7. Stay with your normal routine: get up on time, make your bed, shower, get dressed.
8. Look for ways to give to others.
9. As difficult as it might be, read the scriptures, pray, and praise the Lord.
10. Do not wait to seek professional Christian help.
“Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the LORD; my cause is disregarded by my God"? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
- Isaiah 40:27-31
We have 20 convenient locations in Southern California;
Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino Counties, including the San Gabriel & San Fernando Valleys
Call for an appointment today!
Ask for a counselor in your area
4/7/2023 12:49:16 pm
I love all your blog articles, It’s especially helpful for people starting out, like me! It’s nice to have a blog to follow that’s so informative. PCS Prostaff provides certified and non-certified translation service in various languages. Many of our clients asak us to translate business and legal documents, employee handbooks/manuals, work instructions, procedures, training-eLearning, marketing collaterals, web pages, and other relevant documents.
4/7/2023 01:32:59 pm
I love all your blog articles, It’s especially helpful for people starting out, like me! It’s nice to have a blog to follow that’s so informative. California State requires additional safety training aside from the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulatory program. It also has separate standards and health/safety policies known as Cal OSHA. The Cal OSHA safety training module ensures that workers are eligible for workplace safety for their positions regardless of industry.
Leave a Reply.
Turning Point Counseling
A professional Christian Counseling ministry in partnership with local churches throughout Southern California. -
Help for our family finances