at Turning Point Counseling
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12
Clearly there is NO shortages of darts being heaved at believers from Satan. And it appears as though he's not gonna let up any time soon. But then again we were never promised a trial free life either, in fact it's quite rediculous to think that we could go through life with no problems. Going through trials is just a part of this journey we are on and we WILL have trails until the day the Lord comes.
James 1: 2 tells us "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds...
vs. 3-4 "...because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
WHY? - Because it produce stronger faith and helps us to perservere, to run the race that is set before us.
"HOW" We go Through our Trials is what is Most Important!
vs. 5-6 - "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ASK God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must BELIEVE and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, BLOWN and TOSSED by the wind."
We Are to Take Action...
1. We must ASK God for wisdom on how to get through the trial. In other words, we must be prepared for battle! In order to be prepared, we must "put on our armor" each and every day, be prayed up and then filled with HIS Spirit!
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes". Ephesians 6:11
2. We must BELIEVE and not have any doubt that the battle is ALREADY been won. Christ dying on the cross is the very reason for the vicotry. If we believe this, we must put the trial in His hands and allow Him to work His plan.
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" Ephesians 6:12
3. We have to STAND firm. Our roots must grow deep. In order for a tree to grow strong and healthy and withstand the wind and rain, it must have deep, strong roots.
"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place," Ephesians 6:13-14
"They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” Jeremiah 17:8
We were created for a purpose...to Love God and Love our Neighbor - to Glorify God and to make Him know to others. But we can get easily sidetracked with the trials - and the Battle Within - when they come. Satan knows this and he is so subtle in distracting us from what we are here for. If he can get our focus on our self and our circumstances, then we become less effective in our purpose because we are caught up in the "mind battle".
My pastor, Dr. Larry Walkemeyer, did a sermon series entitled "Power Tools" Part 1 - Promise Power. Did you know that there are over 4000 promises in the Bible? God has given us all the tools we need to get through the battle. We only have to pick them up, turn them on and use them each day.
When the next trial and battle comes your way...
FIRST - Get Back to Basics!
- Breathe! - Do some deep breathing exercises. Breathe - deep....slow....hold! Now, slowly release the air and as you do, close your eyes and imagine yourself releasing all of the poison and lies you have been battling in your mind.
- Eat! - Make sure that you are not only eating, but eating the right foods. More protein and veggies and the foods that feed you brain the good stuff, and less sugar, junk food and caffeine.
- Sleep! - This is extremely important to help you get through the next day and be clear in your mind. Before you go to bed, do some meditation on the promises of God, listen to praise music quietly and just be still and focus on relaxing your body, mind, and spirit before sleep.
- Be Prayed Up. - When those darts come and the battle begins, stop and ask the Lord to help you take each thought capture. Think on things that are good, pure and true! There is power in pray.
- Put on Your Armor - Take your Sword with you to battle! Start each day in the Word. God has given us so much in His Word, ALL we need for our journey.
- Believe - and have Faith in all those promises that He has given. "God's promises are the bridge between your problems and His power. Faith is how you cross over." ~ Dr. Larry Walkemeyer
photo by LaElizO http://laelizo.deviantart.com/
Dr. Larry Walkemeyer
Promises of God