Registered Marriage and Family Therapist Intern with Turning Point Counseling
I’m quite embarrassed to admit that I’ve become a Jesus hogger. What do I mean? Well, I have not been sharing Christ with others lately. To hog according to dictionary.com is “to appropriate selfishly; take more than one's share of.” Wow! I’ve taken more of my share of Jesus and have not given back. I’ve been so busy with my life that I’ve disregarded what it means to truly share the Good News. So how did I come to realize I’m hogging Jesus? Read on…
That day was tough. I tried to rationalize and come up with different “excuses” as to why I had not talked to them about Christ, but it wasn’t enough. I was guilty! I’ve become so comfortable and preoccupied with my life that I’ve missed opportunities to share Christ. Have you ever felt that way? Take the quiz below to find out if you’re a Jesus hogger.
Jesus Hogger Quiz – Answer Yes or No if you have done any of the following this week:
1. Did you share your testimony with someone? – ☐Yes ☐No
2. Did you lead someone to Christ? – ☐Yes ☐No
3. Did you invite your neighbors to church? – ☐Yes ☐No
4. Did you share the message of salvation? – ☐Yes ☐No
5. Did you pray with someone? – ☐Yes ☐No
6. Did you invite friend, family or coworker to a church event? – ☐Yes ☐No
7. Have you been intentional in reaching someone for Jesus? – ☐Yes ☐No
8. Do you often feel guilty when you don’t share Jesus? – ☐Yes ☐No
9. What would you add here? _________________________________
Okay, so you get the point. Obviously, the more NO’s you have, the more you are hogging Jesus. If you’re like me, you may be hesitant in sharing due to shyness, embarrassment, and lack of Biblical knowledge. Maybe you are very anxious when you speak to strangers. Or just maybe, you haven’t given it the priority it deserves (that has been my excuse).
So, why don’t you start with something attainable? Here’s what I did the following week after my hogging revelation. I invited my neighbor to our women’s event. Granted, she couldn’t come, but the seed has been planted. I made contact. Now, I can go back and follow up with other events. Won’t you share Jesus? Please share your hogging experience and tell me how you plan to share Jesus this week.
One more way to share Jesus: Click on this link to see this video that shares Jesus. You can add a button to your blog or website to share Jesus with others – http://www.simplysharejesus.com/
Rest in His Word: Acts 1:8
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (NIV)
- Ask yourself, have I been hogging Jesus? If so, don’t be so hard on yourself. Remember that this is an opportunity to take action.
- Write down any ideas you have on how to share Jesus. Start small. Maybe it’s sending someone a card. Then follow up with a phone call and pray with them.
- If you have been sharing Jesus, be honest and examine your heart. Has sharing Jesus become mechanical for you? Is your heart truly in sharing because you are grateful or do you do it cause you have to?
The material contained in this newsletter has been prepared by an independent third-party provider. The material provided is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as investment, financial, real estate and/or mortgage advice. Although the material is deemed to be accurate and reliable, there is no guarantee it is not without errors.
Turning Point Counseling
1370 N. Brea Blvd., Ste. 245 - Fullerton - CA - 92835
800-998-6329 - TurningPointCounseling.org